My daughter’s boyfriend was having a birthday and his favourite food is cabbage rolls. Mine too…..but I HATE making them!
“Can you ‘help me’ make cabbage rolls?” she asked. “Of course…” I replied, knowing it is one of my least favourite things to make! In fact, I usually make a cabbage roll casserole so I don’t have to spend all the time and frustration rolling these things!!
One of the most challenging parts for me is getting the cabbage leaves prepped for stuffing. In the past, it meant putting the whole head into a pot of boiling water and taking leaves off one at a time as they softened. It was messy and I burned myself ALL the time!
This time, I decided to try putting the whole head in my Quick Cooker….the Pampered Chef version of an Instant Pot. So I did the first head for about 5 minutes, but the second I only did for 2. I found the 2 minutes worked best.
So, I cored the cabbage and then put the whole head in with the open end at the bottom.
I peeled the softened layers and cut the remaining core from the centre to make rolling easier. I put the core pieces that I cut out in the bottom of the slow cooker, along with some of the leaves that were too small to stuff.
While the cabbage was in the Quick Cooker, I made the filling.
I used a mixture of ground beef and ground pork, egg, raw rice, onion, garlic, and seasonings…..and mixed it all up with my Mix and Chop from PC. I removed some of the seasoned meat mixture before adding the rice, and made a special filling for me using riced cauliflower instead of rice to reduce the carbs. I added fresh thyme and oregano from our garden!
Then the stuffing and rolling began….
I layered the rolls in my slow cooker and smothered them in sauce.
The final result turned out not too bad, and I didn’t even miss the rice in mine!
I made a cabbage roll soup with the remaining cabbage that wasn’t used in the rolls!
Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls
- Pressure Cooker
- Slow Cooker
- 12 leaves cabbage softened
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 med onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- .5 lb ground beef
- .5 lb ground pork
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped fine
- 1 tsp fresh oregano chopped fine
For the sauce:
- 1 jar tomato or spaghetti sauce (no meat)
- 1 can tomato soup condensed
- added seasonings if using tomato sauce
- Soften cabbage leaves in boiling water or use a pressure cooker @ 2 minutes high pressure
- Combine filling ingredients in large mixing bowl. I substituted riced cauliflower for the white rice in some of the rolls and cooked them seperately.
- Once leaves are softened and filling combined, stuff rolls individually, cutting out the stem part of the leaves to make rolling easier
- I found placing the filling in the upper part of the leaves worked best. I used my large Pampered Chef cookie dough/meatball scoop for uniformity. Then I folded the sides of the leaves over the filling and rolled.
- Place smaller leaves and stem pieces in the bottom of the slow cooker to keep from burning or sticking.
- Layer rolls on top and cover with sauce.
- I cooked on high for 4-5 hours. But keep checking. You want them soft and well-done, but not dissolved.
- Enjoy!! They are even better made a day ahead!
This is the Pinterest recipe that I based mine on https://sugarapron.com/2016/02/12/crock-pot-stuffed-cabbage-rolls/. As per usual, I modified mine, eliminating the sugar, adding additional seasoning, and probably quadrupled the original recipe!
Let me know if you try it!